Friday, February 5, 2010

Interior Design

I am definitely most interested in the field of Interior Architecture and Interior Design. The one part of architecture that I have been thinking about from the beginning is Interior Design/Interior Architecture. I feel as though an Interior Designer doesn’t use as much math as a regular architect, but I’m sure there is still math included in the whole process of designing and building.
Interior Architects designs what will go inside of what the Architects has designed. In this field it is very common to use computer aided programs, which help with the planning, designing, and drafting. An Interior Architect focuses on attractive, but functional designs. As for the field of Interior Design, the arts are heavily studied, along with things like three-dimensional design and computer aided design. Both regular architects and Interior Architects must complete required education, and get a license in architecture.
After looking at several sites I found that the most common course of education consists of a taking a five year program at a university, and completing some form of internship. The whole process will usually take around eight years.
Once a licensed architect, the next thing to do is find projects on your own, or possibly find some with the government or smaller firms. Most architects are self employed, which is why networking is so important in this career. It was recommended to start looking for contacts while still in college, and get internships at “reputable firms.”
I found many schools that had Interior Design programs, but the one I am most interested in is probably New York School of Interior Design. This college really stood out because the campus looks amazing architecturally, and is in the area of many resources such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Other schools that interested me, but not so much as NYSID, were Mount Ida College, Rhode Island School of Design, and Bauder College.

4 comments:

  1. I also liked the career of being an interior designer, but after researching i decided that i liked the idea of designing complete buildings, instead of just the insides. I think that interior design would be a very interesting career as well though, using your creativity to find the most effective way to design rooms that need to be build for specific reasons.

    With interior design you said that math is not as largely used as in regular architecture, im guessing you like the art aspect more then the math involved in architecture?

    I also noticed that we both found a total of 8 years of preparation that are required before you can be an architect, do you think that is alot of schooling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math is one of my stronger subjects, being one of the reasons architecture interests me, because it's something I am better at rather than something in the social studies or english fields. But yes, it is true that the careers involving more of the arts interest me more than the careers based mainly on math.

    For the amount of schooling, I would have to do much more thinking about what I want to end up doing, because eight years is obviously not the traditional four year program, and would be a waste of time if I did it and then did nothing with the degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also surprised by the number of years. It is important you realize that now. Lets continue looking at this school this week and see if you can organize the different degrees they offer: BID, AAS and BFA. They also have 3 masters programs, two for people who have a degree in another field and one MPS. This is a complex field! But as I posted in Trevor's blog, you need to find a career you are passionate about so it does not feel like work. Don't get overwhelmed, just research it little by litte.
    Mrs. Kent

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have continued to look at NYSID little by little, and got familiar with the degrees they offer. I found that there are four degrees offered, but two are very basic and don't interest me that much. The two that I am most interested in are the BA and the BFA. The description of the BFA sounded a lot more advanced, so i'm still undecided.

    ReplyDelete